Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

My First Writing Conference!!!

Oh My Goodness Monkeys! So much has happened since I last saw you all! (How are you doing, by the way? How was your day? ...MmHmm...Yeah....Wait wait wait, back up, when did Timmy jump off the computer?...Uh huh...Hmmmmm....Well if I were you I'd just give the cheese to the pig...That can't really be helped now, can it?....Okay so maybe she went a little-...You know what? This is why I should do the talking, and you should just shut up and listen.)

So first thing's first. Right now I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffengger. I saw it at the book fair and figured I might as well pick it up. So far it's been hard to pry my hands off it. And I just realized that I never told you how much I LOVED The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It changed the way I read books. For real Monkeys, what are you doing sitting around reading a blog when you could be reading Night Circus? Go! Go I say!

~Ahem


So anyway, this weekend I attended my very first writer's conference! (AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!) It was amazing for more then just one reason, I can't even tell you how much fun I had.

First off, I was blown away by just how adult it was. People boldly said anything they wanted unapologetic-ally. And there wasn't any of the mind games that high school-ers love to play so much. No implied contemptuousness, no trying to one-up each other, no let's-listen-to-what-I-have-to-say. It was in all honesty, not hard to just talk to people without them having to spew their disgusting life stories on you! And let's not forget that I was in a room full of people who had something in common with me for once. There just aren't words for how awesome it was. (I may have accidentally lied to some people and told them I had graduate high school....I didn't mean to, honest!)

And like I said just two sentences ago, I was in a room full of people with whom I shared a passion with. It knocked me out, I gotta tell ya. I was so used to writing being unique to me, it being a defining part of my personality. But here I was, and nothing was out-of-the-ordinary about it! I had something to talk about with these people! Granted, I didn't do much of a good job with socializing this time around BUT THE NEXT TIME I WILL BE ALL OVER IT LIKE SHELDON ON COMIC BOOKS!

Finally it was a good for spending time with my parents and finding out just how invested they are in my writing too. Turns out they're proud of me. Huh, who would have thought. And aside from learning self defense in my hotel room with my mom this week's episode of the office, (Strike, scream, run) I learned a lot about the practice of publishing and finding friends in the city. (This weekend I'm going to a reading at the book cellar downtown, hurray!) Fantasitic weekend? I'd say so.


One last thing. I was watching Shark Tank with my parents the other day and thought to myself, what if the Investors were Agents and the companies authors trying to get their book picked up? 
I'd watch that show, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment