Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Why You Should Get a Dog


This blog is brought to you by my lovable crazy little puppy Desi, who is just about the most destructive disgusting infuriating sweetest dog you will ever meet. It is also brought to you by a page in The Pocket Muse By Monica Wood that says the following.

"T.S. Elliot loved cats.
William Butler Yeats loved cats.
Christina Rossetti loved cats.
John Keats loved cats.
J.R.R. Tolkien loved cats.
Mark Twain loved cats.
Christopher Smart loved cats.
Marianne Moore loved cats.
Ernest Hemmingway loved cats.
Oscar Wilde loved cats.
Doris Lessing, Rita Mae Brown,
Carolyn Chute, Nuala O'Faolain...
Isn't it time you got a cat?"

No, it isn't about time I got a cat.

In case you couldn't put two and two together, I'll spell it out. I'm a dog person. And you should be too. Here's why.

Dogs are love-ably dumb.
They do not need to be the kings (or queens) of the house. They are not cocky. They do not think they own you. They are happy if you simply remember to give them a treat, maybe scratch in that little spot behind the ear that they like. And they are so transparent about their emotions. If they're upset, you see it in their adorable puppy dog eyes. If they're happy, their tails will swing around like a helicopter. And their always looking for a playmate. (And, speaking of my dog personally, she always seems to know when I need her happy little kisses.)

You can walk dogs.
Now, granted, I do not claim to be an expert on the care taking of a cat, but don't they do their business in a box? Okay, yeah, that's real convenient. Because everyone loves it when when animals pee and poop in the house. Real lovely fragrance that comes with it. But seriously, walking dogs is the better route. I know, I know. Your thinking to yourself But having to walk a dog is tedious. And there's an old couple that lives next door that my dog loves to attack. But think of it this way. Sometimes, you need to get away from your computer/notebook, right? You need sometime to think, to work out the next part in your book. And sure, you can take a walk around the block to clear your head. But still, who wants to look like a depressed loner? When ever I see someone walking alone on the street who isn't over sixty or carrying a backpack, my heart breaks a little. Thusly, dogs allow you to take a nice leisurely stroll without giving off the vibe that you have issues.

Dogs are a challenge.
I'm not going to try and tell you that dogs are easy to take care of. They're noisy, obnoxious, very dumb, and seem to ram into things all the time. Everyday when I come home from school I see a new part of the sofa ripped up and a nice little surprise waiting for me on the carpet. Not to mention in the dead of night Desi will crawl into my bed and absolutely hog it, trying to cuddle up to me. This may sound endearing, but in 100 degree weather I'm less then pleased to be pressed up against my 80 pound sweaty fur covered heat machine. No matter how many times I kick her off the bed, she jumps right back on. And if I get up to pee she will somehow encompass my whole double twin sized bed. Did I mention she snores?

But that's the fun in it! Who wants an animal that just lazy-s around the house all day? I wanna a pet who's never going to stop pushing me to my limits, keeping me on my toes. It's one of the few things I can actually handle.

Therefore, get a dog.

So what's your take? Cat or Dog? 

No comments:

Post a Comment