Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Becca On Distractions

My original thought for this blog was to do a blog a week, but this one needed to be written right away.

You love them. You hated them. Distractions.


I'm writing this as I am downstairs, chilling with my mom, my younger sister (and my "blonde sister"), watching a biography on the making of Harry Potter, while my two sisters song "In the Jungle" over the noise of the TV which very much annoyed me while I was trying to write. So there you have it.


They're are everywhere. 

Being, well, a teenager, I am still expected to have a life outside of writing. This means spending writing time with family and friends while still maintaining focus on the story. And trust me when I say I run into distractions ALL THE TIME.

There are the distractions that you like, easy to fall into.

It's facebook, it's that TV show you've been dying to watch, it's that friend that you just saw at school but you're so bored and frustrated you might just text her to death. You all know you do it. In my situation, it's the Harry Potter special. While I'm in the middle of a slow conversation being three main characters and am not quite sure where I am going I'm not putting my all into it. Instead, I'm trying to get my sisters to SHUT THE HECK UP BECAUSE JK ROWLING IS SPEWING HER GENIUS INTO MY BRAIN! And I convince myself that I do this all for my writing, but really I just need a break. These distractions are like dessert, good in moderation, but get carried away and you'll be fat and stupid.

Let's not forget the kind that are awful.

The fly that doesn't leave you're stinking head alone, the internet connection that your sure is going slow just to get on your nerves, the sister that's shouting EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEE at the top of her lungs. These are the things that make you plot conspiracies and homicides. What's important with these distractions is to remember that there not that big of a deal. Yes, while in the situation it is very easy to think that IT'S JUST THE MOST ANNOYING THING EVER IN THE UNIVERSE, but it's really not that much. And once you see that, it's easy to ignore, until it comes into your mind again. (Good luck with that.)

That's all I got. VENT! Tell me your distractions!

No comments:

Post a Comment